Wednesday, January 18, 2012

EDDIE THONEICK - THE KING OF BOOTLEGS


Last Saturday was my first party at the legendary Cocoon club in Frankfurt. I've always wanted to go there and see for myself what's so special about it and now I know.



Cocoon club was founded back in 2004 and soon became one of the most important house/techno clubs in Germany. Its name is to be explained with the several lounges around the floors, which look like a cocoon in the wall. The club's design is really extravagant, spacy, modern and yet cosy. The staff is unbelievably friendly and the party was even better than I've expected.



Let me start from the very beginning. After seeing Eddie Thoneick at one of his gigs last year, which was unfortunately too short due to the late hour, I swore that I will go see him playing again as soon as possible. And yet, his performance at the MidWest Festival in Neuss later that year wasn't meant to be. His gig got cancelled, because of the unusually bad weather.



So, when I saw that he's having a gig at Cocoon club, I knew that this was my chance! Right after work I got on the train and only 250km later I was finally entering this glamorous building, also known as the UFO-building.

Do you know what it's like, when a person smiles so truly honest and from the bottom of his heart, that you just have to start smiling as well? Eddie Thoneick is exactly that kind of person. I've never seen anyone who's as positive as he is. He infects you with his good mood and it's so easy to have fun around him. On top of that he is totally a down-to-earth artist, who is more like your buddie rather than someone famous.



He played many of his great bootlegs (if you haven't heard his bootleg mix yet, make sure to follow this link later -> Eddie Thoneick special Xmas 2011 Mix), including Tomas Gold's remix of Lady Gaga's "Judas" vs "Live your life" by him, Erick Morillo & Shawnee Taylor, Michael Calfan's „Resurrection“ (Axwell Mix) vs Cassius' "Sun goes down" and also other songs like Robyn „Never Be Mine" (Fedde le Grand rmx), Fedde's remix of Coldplay's "Paradise", "Stronger" and many, many more.



The event, which was an Envy My Music event, was named "The new era of house" and Eddie Thoneick wasn't the only one playing. On the main floor were also the newcomer Madeon (Pete Tong played him last Friday on his show!) and also Marco Sönke, a well known DJ from Frankfurt, who played right before Eddie and got the crowd totally hyped with tracks like the great Lykke Li - Follow Rivers (The Magician Remix).



All in all, it was an amazing evening with great music and great people and if you have the chance to go to Cocoon any time soon or to see Eddie live, please do so, it's totally worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment